I recently came across a dish that I love to make and eat while looking through the Taste of Home Annual Recipes Cookbook of 2010 called "Firehouse Special".
The recipe was under a 'potluck pleaser' and therefore made two casserole dishes, however it is just me and the hubby at home--we can't eat that much of the same thing without going crazy. Although this lasts us three or four days and I look forward to every meal! So needless to say I cut all the ingredients by half, but if you want to make it for a large, LARGE crowd then just double the measurements. Here goes:
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (I use brown rice)
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef (it called for 1 lb of beef, and 1 lb. of sausage--not a fan of sausage so substituted another pound of beef)
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms (I just used a pkg. of sliced baby bellas)
- 1.5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pkg. (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Creole Seasoning (see below if you don't have Creole Seasoning)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Below is the method:
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, Stir in 1 tbsp. of butter; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef (and sausage if you choose to) over medium heat until nolonger pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until tender, add to meat mixture.
- Stir in the spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, soup mixes, garlic powder, Creole Seasoning, and reserved rice mixture.
- Put in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover, bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Makes 10 servings
As I typed this, I noticed that this does sound intimidating with lots of ingredients. Don't let that stop you because it is easy and oh so good! Make it for yourself and family, then let me know what you think!!